November 2022 SMART Goal Project

books

SUMMARY

During the November Smart goal session for school of rock 2022, I continued my role as a researcher and looked further into an array of interpretations of music theory, techniques and structure. This was done independently and primarily through the continuation and eventual completion of a book I started in my October 2022 Smart Goal, The Addiction Formula.

Intention (SMART Goal)

As a result of my current interest in how to make music that attracts and maintains the focus of an audience I wanted to connect with resources deeply and ideally meet the November Smart Goal deadline. The way I thought to measure my completion of the project was through my completion of the book (alongside completion of this blog post).

PRE-PRODUCTION – INQUIRY

Leader(s) in the Field / Exemplary Work(s)

The primary source used to conduct my research was a book written by Friedemann Findeisen. A german songwriter, author, and

Training Source(s)

1. The Addiction Formula

SMART Goal Schedule

Completing this book consumed the majority of free time in School of Rock during the November session. I spent each period listening to music and alternating between notes and reading. Occasionally, time was also set aside for in-depth research of concepts or features which caught my attention. Being that I tend to move through media slowly I also lended a copy of my primary resource to read when outside of school.

Research Summary

INCOMPLETE SEGMENT

https://www.perennialmusicandarts.com/post/four-types-of-texture-in-music

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/violin-science-stradivarius-guarneri-human-voice-soprano_n_2979847

21st Century Skills

Ways of Thinking (Creativity, Innovation, Critical Thinking, Problem Solving)

I practiced critical and analytical thinking skills through comparing notes and structures I collected through reading to a large array of music.

Ways of Working (Communication & Collaboration)

This project did not require me to collaborate with anyone in particular, as a result these skills weren’t exercised during this session.

Tools for Working (Info & Media Literacy)

I relied on books, and websites for my research during this session. On several occassions I fact checked and researched intriguing details for the sake of understanding.

Ways of Living in the World (Life & Career)

When consuming material relating to music theory, or material from others, the skill I would consider most necessary is the ability to distance oneself from the material when necessary as a way to remain open minded and present in order to respond, or simply absorb in the way your future self would want you to. This is something I believe my actions coincide with. Life requires us to compartmentalize our opinions from facts and theories in order to make important decisions.

Reactions to the Final Version

Self-Evaluation of Final Version

Grammar and Spelling

Editor