Rumble: The Indians Who Rocked The World

CUENOTES
What is a Ghost dance?

Why did the government decide to stop repressing Buffy’s music? What other musicians were repressed for the same reasons?
link ray- banned instrumental-half native

ghostdance? wounded knee massacre

The blues is linked to Native Ghost dances——“pre-blues”

African and Indigenous peoples have cultures and ancestry intertwined in ways which have impacted music

85% of African Americans in America before the civil war share Native ancestry

Enslaved African people who had escaped had occassionaly sought safety on Native Reservations where they would often be accepted

Charley Patton- native- white- creole////most impactful to blues- influenced US pioneers of rock

CIA/Fbi files on Buffy saint marie?? a Native musician and activist whose music was banned throughout the US for its messages

Summary

This documentary was enjoyable for me. It educated me on some of the musical origins of numerous genres and rekindled my interest in my ancestry.

I was particularly intrigued by Buffy Saint-Marie and her story. In part, because I often speak to whoever will entertain me about government caused suppression, and how its enacted through media manipulation. This documentary I was particularly intrigued by Buffy Saint-Marie and her story. In part because I often speak to whoever will entertain me about government suppression and how it’s enabled by media manipulation. This documentary discussing that (even in short) was meaningful to me. Enough so that after the “Rumble” viewing, I looked deeper into Buffy’s music, and I now have a greater appreciation for folk music and consider myself a bit of a fan of her work.